Local historians remember this as the lighthouse the government didn’t want to build. They felt the West Chop lighthouse was sufficient to navigate the swift currents of the passage between the two headlands at the entrance to the Vineyard Haven harbor. In 1869, Captain Silas Daggett of Holmes Hole raised the money himself to build the lighthouse, which burned to the ground two years later. It was rebuilt, and Daggett served as the lighthouse keeper for the first years of this East Chop landmark.
• 3/8" x 13/16"